Luscious cream of coconut teams up with chocolate cake, rum and nuts and then drizzled with a chocolate, coconut glaze! It all starts with a cake mix, so it’s a snap to make!
- 1 chocolate cake mix with pudding (devil’s food or fudge)
- 1 cup of cream of coconut, for the batter (Coco Lopez is found in the liquor isle)
- 1/3 cup of cream of coconut for the glaze
- 4 room temperature eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup of rum for the cake and 1 Tbs for the glaze
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs of instant coffee or espresso granules
- 3/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips for the batter and 1/3 cup for the glaze
- 3/4 cup of chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350°
Start by buttering a 10-inch bundt pan. To make the batter, use an electric mixer and combine the cake mix, 1 cup of cream of coconut, eggs and yolk, 1/3 cup of rum, oil and instant coffee. Beat on medium speed until well combined. Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the nuts and 3/4 cup of chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the greased bundt pan and bake for 40 – 50 minutes until a skewer or toothpick comes out clean.
Let the cake cool for 30 minutes and remove from the cake pan.
Now for the glaze, in a small saucepan over low heat, add in 1/3 cup of chocolate chips and 1/3 cup of cream of coconut, stir well, cook for 5 minutes, remove from the heat and add 1 Tbs of rum.Using a skewer, poke holes in the top of the cake and slowly pour on the glaze. I like to garnish with fresh raspberries or blackberries and serve whipped cream on the side. Enjoy!Note to cooks: Make darn sure you stir the cream of coconut really well, it separates in the can. And make sure the cake mix has pudding in it.