This is my favorite cranberry dish ever! It is absolutely delicious! I make it every Thanksgiving and everyone loves it! It can be made days ahead, even up to a week and that’s what we need during this busy time!
Makes 4 1/2 Cups
• 1 bag of fresh cranberries, rinsed
• 1- 3/4 cup of white sugar
• 1 cup of water
• 1 small orange, zest and juice
• 1 small lemon, zest and juice
• 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
• 1 tsp of vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar
• 3/4 cup of raisins
• 3/4 cup of walnuts or pecans, chopped
In a 4 qt saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar and water. Cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes until cranberries begin to pop, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat off.
Meanwhile, into a small bowl, zest the orange and lemon, then squeeze the juice into the cranberries, along with the apple, vanilla, brown sugar and zests. Turn the heat back on to low and cook for 15 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the raisins and nuts. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate. All done!