What could be better than eggs, bacon, mushrooms and cheese wrapped in a flaky, buttery puff pastry! Try this for dinner, brunch or breakfast, very easy to make and very impressive.
• 1 – 9 x 12 sheet of puff pastry (thawed)
• 1/4 cup mushrooms – sliced (buttons or baby bellas)
• 2 cloves of minced garlic
• 4 slices of bacon
• 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese – shredded (divided use)
• 4 eggs – beaten
• 4 Tbs of whole milk or half and half
• 1 tsp of kosher salt
• 1/4 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
• 4 green onions – chopped
• 2 handfuls of fresh spinach or 1 cup of frozen spinach – thawed and drained well
• 1 tsp of fresh thyme (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350°
Place the puff pastry on a parchment lined baking sheet.
In a heavy skillet over medium high heat, saute the mushrooms and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, cook the bacon until crispy, cool slightly and crumble. Place the mushrooms down the center of the pastry, sprinkle on the bacon and top with 1/2 the cheese. (Cheese is not pictured because I just plain forgot to shoot it!)
Beat the eggs, milk, salt and pepper and green onions. Pour into the same skillet over low to medium heat, add the spinach and cook until partially set, but not completely firm.
Spread the scrambled egg mixture over the other ingredients on the puff pastry. Now, using a small knife, make cuts 1 inch apart on both sides of the dough up to the filling. Fold in each section, one from the left then one from the right. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top and bake for just a few minutes more until melted and beautiful!
Sprinkle with fresh thyme and let rest for about 5 minutes before slicing. Enjoy! I know you will!