Strawberry Mousse Angel Cake
This a delightful, delicious cake that starts with an angel food cake mix. The tender light cake is stuffed and frosted with a creamy, homemade strawberry mousse. It’s easy to do and it’s best made the day before serving.
Author: Ruth Guerri
Serves: 1 - 10" cake
- 1 angel food cake mix
- 1 tsp of strawberry gelatin
- 2 Tbs of heavy cream
- 2 cups of sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of crushed strawberries mixed with 2 Tbs of sugar
- Make the angel food cake according to directions and let cool.
- In small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over 2 tablespoon of heavy cream, stir and set aside.
- Place the sliced strawberries and powdered sugar in a blender, cover and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into 1-quart saucepan, add softened gelatin. Cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until mixture comes to a simmer and gelatin is dissolved. Remove from the heat and cool for 30 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer with a whip attacment, beat 1 cup of heavy cream and the vanilla on high speed until stiff peaks form, then on low speed, add in the strawberry mixture and whip until blended, you just made strawberry mousse!
- To assemble: Turn the cake bottom-side up and cut a channel in the cooled cake with a serrated blade, taking care not to cut through the bottom of the cake. Pull out loose cake with your fingers.
- Spoon the mousse into the channel to the top, then spread the remaining mousse on the entire cake, like icing. Place the cake in the fridge for 2 to 3 hours, or overnight.
- To serve, mix 1 cup of crushed strawberries with 2 Tbs of sugar, cut a large pieces of cake and top with the crushed berries. Enjoy!
Note to cooks: When making whipped cream, make sure that your bowl is super clean and it helps to put the bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes or so before whipping the cream.