A classic, utterly delicious French Dip Sandwich! Crusty bread is piled high with tender, flavorful roast beef, topped with melted provolone and dipped in savory au jus! A must to have in your recipe file.
Serves 3 – 4
- 1 rump roast (I used a 2 lb rump roast and it made 4 sandwiches)
- 2 tsp of oil to rub on the roast and 3-4 tsp of oil for searing the roast
- 1 tsp each of salt and pepper for seasoning beef
- 1/4 cup of red wine for deglazing pan
- Provolone cheese – 2 pieces per sandwich
- Crusty french rolls
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- 1 cup of beef consomme or beef broth
- 3 Tbs of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- 1 tsp of kosher salt
- 1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 tsp of dried marjoram
- 1 Tbs of butter
Preheat oven to 350°
Start by preparing the beef: Bring the beef to room temperature before cooking. Trim off any “hard” fat, leaving the soft fat underneath. Rub the beef with a little oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a dutch oven or deep oven proof skillet over high heat. Sear the beef on all sides, remove and set aside.
Deglaze the pan with a little red wine, scraping up the bits, this is the beginning of the au jus. Add in the beef consomme, Worcestershire, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme sprigs and marjoram.
Place the beef back in the dutch oven and cover with foil. Place it in the oven and roast for 25 minutes per pound. Medium rare is 130°.
Let rest for 30 minutes before carving. While the meat is resting, strain the cooking liquid into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes.
Just before serving, add in a tablespoon of butter, stir until melted.
Slice the roast beef as thin as you can. Dip the bottom of the roll in the au jus. Pile on the roast beef and top with cheese. Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet. Broil just til cheese is melted.
Place the top of the roll on the sandwich and serve with the au jus for dipping. Horseradish or spicy mustard would also be good to serve on the side.