Humble Polenta topped with fresh tomatoes, gorgonzola, mozzarella, fresh basil, and garlic! Yet another delicious way to use those garden fresh tomatoes and herbs! Utterly amazing! Very easy to make and guaranteed smiles all around the table!
Serves 4 – 6
- 1 1/3 cups of yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp of salt
- 4 cups of water
- 1 Tbs of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes, cut in half and the larger ones in 1/3’s
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped
- small handful of spinach leaves – optional
- 10 basil leaves, cut into thin strips (chiffonade)
- 5 oz of gorgonzola
- 8 oz of fresh mozzarella, cut into small pieces or use pearls
Preheat oven to 450°
Start by coating a 10 – 12 inch oven proof skillet (I used my cast iron) with oil, bottom and sides. Then in a a large saucepan, add in the cornmeal, salt and water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium/low, cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Then whisk in the 1 Tbs of olive oil. The Polenta will pull away from the sides of the pan when done. Spread the Polenta into the skillet evenly and to the edges. Then, arrange the tomatoes over the Polenta, sprinkle on the garlic and the spinach leaves if using, the basil, Gorgonzola and mozzarella.
Now just bake for 15 minutes. Let is sit for 10 – 15 minutes, loosen the edges with a knife and cut into wedges and serve!I like to drizzle over a little balsamic reduction. Just add 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar to a saucepan with a pinch of sugar, salt and pepper and let it reduce by half.