Chicken, Tomato, Spinach and Fontina Panini with Avocado Aioli
How can somethng so simple be so amazing! A warm, toasty panini with perfectly cooked chicken, garden fresh tomato slices, creamy fontina cheese and fresh spinach leaves with an avocado aioli! You don't have to use a panini maker, I don't have one, just put a heavy object on the sandwich and use your skillet, I use a brick covered with foil. However you do it, you'll love this quick, easy, scrumptious sandwich!
Author: Ruth Guerri
Recipe type: Sandwich
- 2 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1 large or 2 medium garden fresh tomatoes, sliced
- 4 oz of Fontina cheese, sliced
- baby spinach leaves
- 2 ciabatta, sourdough, or focaccia rolls, split
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 2 heaping Tbs of mayo
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 2 tsp of fresh lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Start by cooking your chicken breasts; if they seem too thick, pound them a little thinner with a mallet or heavy object, then heat 1 Tbs of olive oil in a heavy skillet over high heat, cast iron if you have one, season the chicken with salt & pepper and cook for about 3 - 4 minutes on each side depending on thickness. You can either slice them or use them whole.
- To make the aioli, just add all the ingredients in a small bowl and mash with a fork until blended
- To assemble, spread both sides of the bread with the aioli, top the bottom bun with tomato, chicken, fontina and spinach and put the top bun on.
- Place in a buttered or greased skillet or panini maker, if using a skillet, place a heavy object on top of the sandwich. (I use a brick covered with foil) and grill on each side for about 4 minutes. All done!