Crispy, succulent coconut shrimp with an insanely good pineapple dipping sauce! These shrimp are baked, not fried, so you can go crazy and not feel guilty! They are so crisp and delicious, you won’t miss a thing!
Serves 4 (or 2 extremely hungry people)
• 1 1/2 lbs of large, shelled and deveined shrimp, patted dry
• Cooking spray
• 1 cup of plain Panko bread crumbs
• 3/4 cup of sweetened coconut
• 1/2 tsp of salt
• 1/2 tsp of pepper
• 1 cup of fresh pineapple, finely chopped
• 1/3 cup of red onion, finely chopped
• 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup of pineapple preserves
• 1 Tbs of seeded and finely chopped Jalapeno pepper
• 1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
• 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
• 1/8 tsp of ground ginger
Start by adding all of the dipping sauce ingredients to a medium sized bowl and stir to combine. Then, mix the breading ingredients in a shallow bowl or pie plate.
Beat the egg whites with a fork until slightly frothy.Working with 3 shrimp at a time, dip them in the egg white, let the excess drip off, then coat with the breading, pressing it on with your fingers. Place them on a wire rack, over a foil lined baking sheet.
Spray the shrimp lightly with cooking oil spray and bake at 450° for 10 – 12 minutes til golden and crispy! To serve, place a bed of arugula on a plate, top with the shrimp and serve the sauce on the side! You’re in for a real, guilt free treat!