Everyone’s favorite! This recipe makes killer fajitas! Marinate your steak overnight in this amazing marinade with tequila, fresh lime juice, herbs and spices, then sear it over intense heat for just a few minutes. Stir together with sauteed peppers and onions and stuff into a warm tortilla! Out of this world flavor!
Author: Ruth Guerri
Serves: 4 - 6
- 2 lbs of skirt steak
- ¼ cup of fresh lime juice, 2-3 limes
- ¼ cup of Tequila
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbs of brown sugar
- 2 Tbs of vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tsp of soy sauce
- ½ tsp of liquid smoke
- 2 tsp of dried oregano
- 2 tsp of cumin
- 2 tsp of coriander
- 2 tsp of paprika
- ½ tsp of cayenne pepper
- ½ cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp of olive or canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into ¼″ rings
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into ¼″ rings
- 1 green pepper, cut into ¼″ rings
- 1 large onion, cut into ¼″ rings
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp of salt
- 4-6 flour tortillas
- Toppings:( guacamole, sour cream, monterey jack or queso fresco cheese, salsa)
- Start by whisking all of the marinade ingredients together.
- Cut the steak into two equal pieces and place in a ziplock bag, pour in the marinade, massage the meat and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the fridge and bring to room temperature for at least 30 minutes before cooking. While the steak is resting, add 2 tsp of oil to a large skillet, over medium heat and cook the peppers and onions for 10 – 12 minutes, then season with salt and add in the garlic, cook another 2 minutes.
- Now, shake the excess marinade from the steak and grill over high heat for about 3 minutes per side for rare. Remove from the grill and let the meat rest for at least 10 minutes. While the meat is resting, wrap the tortillas in foil and warm in a 350° oven for 10 – 12 minutes. Place the meat on a cutting board and slice thinly across the grain and on a diagonal.
- Add the meat to the skillet with the peppers and onions and heat through.
- To serve, place the meat, peppers and onions in the warm tortillas and add your favorite toppings! Enjoy!
Skirt steak is perfect for fajitas and absolutely delicious, but there a few things to know to insure tenderness. First, remove the membrane if it hasn’t already been done, you’ll see it if it’s there, it looks like transparent skin, just use your fingers and peel if off. Make sure to marinate at least 24 hours or up to 48 hours. Don’t cook it past medium rare and cook it over very intense heat and always cut across the grain and on the diagonal.