This is the best Italian meatloaf you’ll ever eat! My Aunt Evelyn’s recipe that was passed down from my Granny. It’s moist, flavorful, absolutely perfect in every way!
Author: Ruth Guerri
Recipe type: entrees
Serves: 2 meatloaves
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of plain breadcrumbs
- 1 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp of dried oregano
- ⅓ cup of fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp of kosher salt
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 3 lbs of ground beef
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbs of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup of marinara sauce (for the top)
- ⅓ cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese (for the top)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Start by heating the oil in a heavy skillet over medium/high heat and saute the onion, green pepper and carrot for 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic and saute 1 more minute. Remove from the heat and let cool down.
- Stir together the breadcrumbs, 1 cup of Parmesan, oregano, basil and salt & pepper.
- Then in a small bowl, beat the eggs and in a very large bowl, add the ground beef, the breadcrumb/parmesan mixture, eggs, Worcestershire sauce and the cooled onion mixture.
- With your hands, mix together until very well combined. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and shape the meat into two evenly sized loaves. Top with the marinara, spreading to the edges and sprinkle on the ⅓ cup of Parmesan cheese. Bake for 50 – 60 minutes.
- Turn the oven off, switch on the broiler and broil for a few minutes to brown up the meatloaf. Done! Let cool for 15 minutes or so before slicing. Plate the meatloaf and spoon over the juices collected in the pan. Buon Appetito!