Southwest Corn Salad
This is a delightful summer salad that can be served chilled or at room temperature. Oven roasted corn is mixed with sautéed red pepper and garlic and tossed with a tasty sauce including fresh lime juice, scallions, Queso Fresco and fresh cilantro. Perfect for a potluck and delish alongside grilled chicken or pork.
Author: Ruth Guerri
- 10 ears of corn
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup of mayo
- 3 tsp of chili powder
- 2 Tbs of fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp of kosher salt
- ½ tsp of black pepper
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 5 scallions, white and pale green parts, chopped
- 2 Tbs of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 oz of Queso Fresco cheese, crumbled (or as much as you like!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pull back the husks on the corn and remove silk, pull the husks back up around the corn and place them directly on the oven rack, bake for 30 minutes. Let cool enough to handle, then cut off the kernels into a large bowl.
- While the corn is baking, add 1 tsp of olive oil to a medium skillet over medium/high heat and saute the red pepper for 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic and saute for 1 more minute, let cool a little.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayo, chili powder, lime juice, salt & pepper and sugar, pour it over the corn.
- Then stir in the cooled peppers, scallions, cilantro and cheese, taste and add salt if needed.
- You can serve immediately at room temperature or chilled. Enjoy!