Brioche French Toast with Berry Compote
So darn good! French toast made with buttery, sweet Brioche and topped with a mixed berry compote! Perfect way to start a long, lazy weekend!
Author: Ruth Guerri
Recipe type: Brunch and Egg Recipes
- 1 cup of fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup of fresh blackberries
- ¼ cup of sugar
- juice of ½ of a lemon
- splash of water
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup of whole milk or half and half
- 1½ Tbs of sugar
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of allspice
- splash of vanilla
- 4 thick slices of Brioche, Challah or french bread
- powdered sugar
- Start by making the berry compote: Place the strawberries and the blackberries in a small saucepan, add the lemon juice, sugar and a splash of water and cook over medium heat for 6 - 8 minutes, until berries are soft, but not completely broken down.
- For the batter: Add the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, allspice and vanilla, whisk until well blended.
- Cut the bread into 4 thick slices.
- Pour the batter into a casserole dish, place the bread in the batter, soak both sides.
- Heat the griddle, add 1 Tbs of butter, add in the soaked bread. Cook for 3 -4 minutes, turn and cook 3 - 4 more minutes, until golden brown.
- To serve, place 2 french toast slices on each plate, top with the berries, then sprinkle with powdered sugar!